Generalitat of Catalunya
Macro contract for content and portal management
The Generalitat of Catalonia is the institutional system in which the autonomous Spanish community of Catalonia is organized politically.
The main objective is to transform the current set of portal solutions of the Government of Catalonia into a new platform that allows for a unified management of virtual communication with the citizen through the different channels of dissemination. As technological objectives, we would highlight that the new unified multi-channel broadcasting platform must be:
The need sought in this project from the point of view of the Government of Catalonia:
- To provide a simple, usable platform that facilitates not only the entry of content by their editorial team (currently about 1000 people) but that the handling time of these resources is more effective.
- To decrease the cost of licenses, both of the product it seeks to replace Vigenette/Opentext, and of the infrastructure that supports it.
- The possibility of exploiting this information through other channels via an API platform based on JSON standards.
NAME OF THE SOLUTION
The solution consisted of migrating the current Portal and Content Management solution, based on the OpenText Vignette VCM i VAP v7 products, to a new solution called Gencat Webs, based on the Open Source OpenCms v8.5 product.
Webs gencat will be a transversal tool that will allow the management and publication of contents on the websites of all the departments of the Generalitat, with the following orders of magnitude: 1,000,000 pages served per day, 1,000,000 contents, 140 portals and 1,500 contributing users.
WHY THEY HAVE CHOSEN THE VASS OFFER AMONG OTHERS.
A unified digital strategy is a service approach in which the government uses all communication channels, including the web, mobility and social media channels to communicate with its citizens, companies and the third sector.
The objective of a unified digital strategy is to ensure that citizens, businesses and the third sector, receive messages and consistent services, on their needs, through all channels. And have a multichannel and open communication system: web, multimedia, social networks, mobile and open data.
The unified digital strategy has three clear pillars: Simplicity, Cloud and Open Source.
A simplified strategy allows the reduction of infrastructure costs, program licenses and human resources.
The strategy is based on the concept of integrated services, which exponentially increases the benefits of using these in all government programs (Health, Education, Security, Social Care, etc.).
BENEFITS OR IMPROVEMENTS resulting FROM THis IMPLEMENTATION.
The results can be assessed in two large areas:
- Economic: The economic scenario of the country and the budget cuts of the administration at the time of the project forced us to find an imaginative solution that has allowed us to reduce the cost associated with the maintenance and exploitation of the current platform, without this entailing a loss of quality in customer service through virtual communication systems. This has been possible due to:
- A reduction in the cost of infrastructure and software licenses
- A reduction in the technical support and the human team necessary for its maintenance
- A reduction in the necessary training for users
- Technological: The new unified multi-channel broadcast platform is
The realization of this project and its degree of success has made us a benchmark in high performance OpenSource platforms. There is no project of this magnitude on OpenCms technology at a European level and according to the manufacturer, OpenCms does not know of another with that scope worldwide.